We’re all increasingly busy these days – studies show that mobile devices mean we’re almost never offline from working. No wonder we’re all feeling frazzled. Time (and life!) is short, and so it’s easy to take shortcuts when it comes to nourishing yourself, when really it’s more important we take care of ourselves than ever. I love throwing stuff together that takes less than 10 minutes… and makes me feel better inside and out!
How about all you full time mothers / workers / students out there? Ever feel like you want to be healthy but you just don’t have time? Personally, it has taken me years to get in to cooking, plus I work full time, I have law school in the evenings, and my workouts in the morning and/or lunch tire me out so that when I get home at 8.30/9pm after swinging by Sainsbury’s, I need a quick fix!
Add to that the fact that it’s really easy to look at all these instagram accounts about ‘eating clean’ and/or fitness – Tone it Up, Kayla Itsines, Blogilates – and think prep is going to take forever. After all, who can make meals that look that good, quickly, right?
You can. I can. We can. Meals like this take LESS TIME than an oven pizza, takeaway delivery or microwave meal. So no excuses…
Spicy Prawn SuperBowl
5 minutes total prep & cook time*
*To keep to the 5 minute limit you need microwavable brown rice. Cheating, I know. Or, alternatively, cook up a batch of normal brown rice on a Sunday for the week and just take 1 serving.
Serves 2, or just you, with 1 dinner and 1 lunch.
You need: Brown rice (microwavable), chilli tomato pesto, 1 pack of cooked, peeled prawns, 3 handfuls of spinach, 2 handfuls of kale, 2 spring onions, 1 large tomato, cayenne pepper, black pepper.
Foolproof guide for optimum speed
- Microwave the rice for 2 minutes.
- Stir fry your prawns, kale, spinach, quickly chop your spring onions and tomato, and throw those in too.
- Add two shakes of cayenne paper to the pan, and add black pepper to suit your tastes.
- Leave in the pan to sizzle for 1 – 2 minutes on a high heat until it’s all heated through.
- Add 1 and a half teaspoons of chilli-tomato pesto to the rice, stir in with the veg and prawns.
- Eat half and save the rest for a tasty lunch or supper later in the week.
This is a really filling but fairly healthy supper option that goes well with almost any healthy lifestyle plan you might be following.
What quick fixes do you make when you don’t have any time?